Tuesday, August 4, 2009

So What?

I spent a day at the US Senior Open Golf Championship with my son this weekend. We followed the twosome of Greg Norman and Fred Funk (The winner). We found ourselves just feet away from some of the world's best golfers.

We even stood at the practice tee and got autographs of a bunch of pros. It was fun to watch men effortlessly drive the ball over 300 yards and maneuver over the course with ease.

While taking in the day I saw how people almost worshipped these guys, and elevated their status in the world. I told Isaiah that these guys were no different then us, but they had a talent, called golf. SO WHAT if they could play golf better then most. SO WHAT if they carried a sharpie pen in their hands to sign their autographs. SO WHAT if they were on TV.

What hit me the hardest was a little known golfer by the name of John Ross that I had never heard of, before that day. Instead of just signing Isaiah's hat, he handed out tracts telling the truth of the Gospel of Jesus. His act on that day went unnoticed by the press, and wasn't on ESPN, yet it was more important then winning the tournament.

It reminds me of a group of early Christians who are mentioned in Hebrews 11, who the author says, the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts, mountains, in caves and holes in the grounds. They were commended in their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. I got to believe that John Ross' name written in a book in heaven, is far more important then if it sells on Ebay
for 1000's! Go John Ross, your autograph beside Craig Stadler on Isaiah's hat, Rocks!

2 comments:

TypeOneEric said...

I love golf and this was very cool to read.

Unknown said...

Hey Eric, Thanks!