Monday, October 20, 2008

First Time...


Sunday afternoon, I grabbed my boys, and headed to the back of our property, to shoot some claybirds. The above photo shows Josh and Gaute ready to shoot. I love spending this kind of time with my sons. We loaded up the ATV, grabbed the 12 and 20 gauge shotguns, and Isaiah's pellet gun, and headed out. Every boy, wants his dad to show him, how to shoot a gun. From the time they are 2 years old, they are making gun noises, and turning their fingers into pistols. Boys are just wired differently.

On this day, it would be a first, for my younger son, Isaiah. He has shot the 22 rifle many times, he owns his own pellet gun, and a variety of air soft handguns, but he has never shot, the 20 gauge shotgun. Well, yesterday, that would change. I did the safety talk for everyone there. I then prepped Isaiah, for the impact, he would feel. Well, he tucked the gun into his shoulder, and fired. Wow, you should have seen the grin on his face, as he pulled the trigger. You can see that below. It was a first, for him. He now has bragging rights, with his other 9 year old buddies. He said his shoulder was sore, the rest of the night, but he said with a grin on his face, that it was a good sore.

Our exchange student, Gaute,also joined us. He had never shot a gun, before, yesterday. I did the safety talk ,and showed him how to handle the gun, and all the possible steps, and let him go. He, too,had his first shot, with a shotgun. He grinned, and we all enjoyed the time.

My son Josh, has done this with me before, and was able to knock down, a few clay birds. Josh is pretty efficient with the shotgun. We tossed a bunch of birds in the air, and gave the guys a chance, to knock them down.

It was a fun evening, and we ended it with some smores, by the fire pit. So on a cool night, in Indiana, two boys fired a shotgun ,for the first time, and I was there to watch it happen. I got to believe, right now, in a 4th grade classroom, is some junk talk, taking place, by a blond-hair, blue-eyed, Brown boy. Oh, yeah, Josh asked me to show my stuff, at the end of the evening, and he tossed two birds at once in the air,and I hit both, ooh that felt good in front of the boys!


Go create some first with your boys, it is a blast!

No comments: