Saturday, June 27, 2009

Keeping score


Isn't it interesting that Salvation is a free gift that we don't have to earn, just freely accept by faith. Yet somehow we think that we have to keep score and make sure we do enough good things to keep it. Is it really free then? Or do we somehow believe that works are a part of us getting saved.

Really, think about it a second, I understand that we should work out our salvation with fear and trembling. I know we need a deep fear and respect for Jesus. Yet, why do we attach so much more to the salvation experience? When Jesus said we can't earn it in the first place, with some action or good work.

What happens next is that man begins to keep his own list or score, on other Christians, to prove that they have done enough good works every day.

Just some ramblings from a sinner saved by grace, who had his daughter keeping score of every shot during a golf round yesterday. It made me wonder who else is keeping score of someone to make sure they are saved.

Well, at least my score keeper got it right, as she took time along the way to feed the fish. I wonder if we spend way to much time tallying up scores of others when Jesus said, "Go Fish?"
Oh well, it was a good day on the course, even if I had a few bogeys, birdies and pars . I am grateful that my golf score isn't tied to my salvation. Besides, imagine these fish in this water crying out and saying, "I worked the hardest to get the food." When their salvation or sustenance is tied to a golfer who freely gives them something to eat.

No comments: