Thursday, March 11, 2010

funeral thoughts

Today I led a funeral service for Marcia Bloss. We shared back yards for almost ten years. She passed away after being diagnosed with Cancer. I received a call on Monday from her husband, asking if I would do the service for her.

I was deeply moved by how many people came today. The LINK was packed with family, coworkers, and friends. Truth be known, Marcia requested that she not have a service and one of her daughters even said she probably would not have shown up.

But I reminded the group that life is just a vapor, a mist that appears for a little while and then disappears. I encouraged them with the truths of eternal life and the promise that is available to everyone. Through tears I invited people to surrender their lives to Jesus.

People all over the room made the first steps in their walks with Jesus and were saved. 5 years ago my wife Anne, wrote Marcia and Sam Bloss' name in the dirt on which the concrete was poured. Little did we know that that gesture and prayer and many others, would play out today, seeing many come to Jesus, because of gathering for Marcia's funeral. Humbled and deeply moved after what God did today.

No comments: