Thursday, September 2, 2010

what you didn't know

Every short term mission's trip has stories of people that often get swept under the table. This one must be told! As I type it is 4 am in the morning and I am wide awake. I just spent an evening with our children, and once again feel this incredible satisfaction that we are doing what Jesus would have done.

AS I look at our team it is loaded with people who felt a tug on their heart in a service, from an email, or after seeing a picture, that they must be on this trip. This tug keeps you awake and does not go away, until you find yourself on the other side of the world hugging, holding, or embracing a child.

Rex pictured above, is a teammate and a super one at that. Here is his story condensed.

Two years ago, he and his wife received a phone call that his only daughter, was murdered. I met Rex and his wife, Grace, right after they had received this news. It was and still is, just gut-wrenching horrible news to recall. I have watched Rex and Grace walk through this dark gauntlet each step along the way. Their faith has been impeccable. They have walked where no human being should ever have to. Even to this day, they still do not know who murdered their only daughter.

There is no doubt in my mind that Rex longs to hear the words Daddy from his daughter, or longs for another hug, embrace, or smile. SO today, I watched this amazing man follow the tug of the Spirit on his heart, and travel to the other side of the world and be a dad, to a lot of little girls, who have no daddy.

I must admit I am mess as I type this, but I love the way God redeems things and mends hearts. Rex did not let this tragic event take away, what he is so good at, BEING a DAD! Way to go Rex, your life inspires me and gives me hope that with God, all things are possible!

No comments: