Friday, August 26, 2011

unplug, pause, refresh

We are made in the image of God and that thought floors me.

To keep myself from getting buried in the layers of life I have inserted times when I hit pause, so that I can recharge. Every human being is wired for the need to pause, ponder, and reflect. God set the model in place by implementing a day of rest after he created the cosmos.

One of the very best ways for me to find refreshment is to get out into creation and savor the smells, sights, and sounds of nature. It's as if a part of me comes alive that was shutdown in the midst of living life. Besides, Jesus often pulled away so that he could refresh. Even as I look at this photo above of me in Alaska a few months back, while bear hunting, I breathe easier.

While hunting there I am sure I walked on virgin land where only God himself was able to see and enjoy. And it made me wonder if God still takes time to retreat and enjoy spots in nature that enable him to be refreshed. He started the whole rest-thing for himself. I wonder where he will spend his time this week.

All that to say this, if Jesus found refreshment in nature and God himself took a day to rest after he created everything to enjoy it, then maybe we can find the same kind of refreshment there too.

God's glory is on tour in the skies, God-craft on exhibit across the horizon. Madame Day holds classes every morning, Professor Night lectures each evening. Psalm 19:1-2... The Message

No comments: