Thursday, January 19, 2012

The bear essentials

So this week I picked up my bear that I shot at Prince William Sound Alaska in May. When Sam Armington  pictured above called me and told me it was finished my heart skipped a few beats. 


You see this hunting trip was like none that I have ever been on. All of my life I have spent time in the woods, mountains, and fields hunting. Yet the dream of hunting in Alaska was a bucket list pipe-dream. Then Sam pictured above who is an Alaskan Guide asked me if I wanted to hunt Black Bear with him in Alaska. My response was sure!


A few months later we were on a jet plane flying to Alaska along with another Local doctor, Randy Cammenga. We landed and eventually took a long boat ride out across the sea to our hunting location. It was a spectacular place to spend 8 days in the Wild. We spent the day spotting bear from the boat and then we stalked them on the shoreline. Needless to say I was able to bag a beauty with my 30-06. 


The trip home from the taxidermist was fun as I had to strap my bear in the seat. It's not too often that one has a passenger like this in his vehicle. The looks on people's faces was priceless as I had a bear in the van.


This picture really captures the beautiful landscape of Alaska. For me it was more then bagging a bear it was the time alone with God in creation with a group of men that loved God and love the outdoors. I soaked in every moment and my soul was refreshed and I came away with a fresh awe of God. So when I picked up the mount this week all those memories of eagles, killer whales, avalanches, late night talks around the campfire, and time alone with God surfaced fresh again. Thanks again Sam!

No comments: