Thursday, January 12, 2012

health matters

Good health is a gift from God. Yet a good healthy lifestyle is often under-valued by many. It often gets justified  by this passage in the Bible ...For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come 1Timothy 4:8.


People even go back to the KJV version that says:  For bodily exercise profiteth little:.. Well the Bible gives clear evidence that the Living God lives in us. That truth always drives me to give him the best, cleanest, most fit body to live in. I have often said if we knew the President of the USA was coming to spend a weekend to live with us we would clean our house up in a way it has never been cleaned before. Even more significant the Living God is making a permanent dwelling place in us, so I choose to work hard at giving him a fit house to live in.


Plus, I do not want to come to end of my life and stand before my Savior and have him say, that there were so many other ways he wanted to use me, but he couldn't because of my poor health choices. That would devastate me. Yet how many of us refuse to implement a healthy exercise discipline into our daily routine?


Besides one of my goals in life has been to be able to play ball, run, and enjoy life with my kids as they age and not be that dad who can't because of poor health choices. And even more important I want to give my wife the best quality of life as we age together and enjoy the life God has given us.


So this weekend it was especially special for me to lace up my shoes and join my son at the guard position  in the Adult basketball league I play in. And it was even better to not just get a view from the stands but an on court experience of trapping the other team with my son and assisting my son Josh to a few hoops. I am grateful for my health and do not want to limit how God might want to use me.

No comments: