Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The lost discipline of Spurring one another on


I have spend a large part of my time watching people. I learn a lot about their fears, weaknesses, strongholds, and insecurities by listening to them talk and interact with others. But I learn more when they are in some kind of community with their own peers. 

I spend a large part of my time studying men and what makes them tick and what makes them come alive and what keeps them chained in their patterns of insanity.

I have also noticed the dumbing down of men... Let me explain... We let them waddle in their sin without ever calling them out and even coddling them in their  listlessness. We have truly lost the art of spurring them onto love and good deeds.

Hebrews 10:24 says "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds."

Spur is defined this way: to stimulate, urge someone forward, prod them on, and becoming a catalyst for them to move in the right direction.

Whatever happened to a man poking his brother, calling him out, challenging him to get with it? We have lost the art of spurring. 

Why? Because you become the mean guy, you open yourself up to criticism, you give them permission to do the same to you. You become that guy that people have mixed feelings about when you enter the room. You  become the man that has to speak truth when its hard and you could possibly lose friendships over it. 

Yet, we know we need to do it!

Men run from this kind of accountability too because they fear being spurred on. They would rather waddle in their sin and live below their redemptive potential than become the men God made them to be. It such a sad day for me to watch men refuse to get in this kind of community because they believe some lies from the Enemy.

Every time I see a cowboy with spurs on his boots and spurring his horse in the right way I wonder why we have lost the art of spurring with men? Go spur another brother on to good deeds today, he will be better for it and the world needs men that are willing to truly keep other men accountable!



No comments: