Monday, September 8, 2008

Deer Jim

A lot of letters begin this way; Dear Jim, or better yet in my case Deer Jim! Yes I love this time of year for many reasons. Time to hike out into God's creation on the seat of an ATV and get away. Every person has their ways to refuel, and one of my primary ways is to hunt.

I love everything about hunting, the early season scouting, scanning through my Outdoor Life and North American Whitetail magazines, zeroing in my shotgun, and swapping stories with other hunters. But this tops it all, the crisp cold wind running down my back as I sit on the edge of my tree stand on opening morning.

But there is nothing more exhilarating than to hear the snap of a twig, or the rustling of the leaves because a deer has actually entered your target area. Instantly your synapses are on full alert and your frozen blood begins to boil. And you whisper with a quiet excitement to yourself,"DEER JIM!"

The photo above was a deer that I tagged recently. It hangs in my office at home because my wife prefers not to see it in the living room. I was bringing it back from the taxidermist. It is a trophy of sorts, a reminder of the past. I really think it is important to find your way to get away from the hustle of life and slow down, maybe not in the form of a Deer Jim but maybe a John Deere or Dear God moment.

Dear God thanks for the ways you let us write new chapters of refreshment in our lives. And thanks for deer, God!





No comments: