Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Duct-tape Christians


As people walked into our service one Sunday morning here at Grace they noticed a roll of duct tape at the end of each aisle. People began to wonder why the duct tape? What does Jim have in store for us today?
We spent time worshipping our Savior and then proceeded to the message. I read from Romans 10:14: But how can people call for help if they don't know who to trust? and how can they know who to trust if they haven't heard of the ONE who can be trusted? and how can they hear if nobody tells them?
I then challenged our people to remember the call on their life to share the good news of Jesus Christ. Imagine if no one ever spoke up to you about Jesus. Imagine never hearing the gospel story. Imagine a life without Jesus. Well, I have pondered those thoughts and I will go to my grave telling others because I know the difference Jesus has made in my life.

But how about the rest of us who find any reason under the sun to shy away from evangelism. I know all the reasons and could spit them back to you in a millisecond but the fact remains if we do not share then our neighbors, friends, children, co-workers will go to hell.
As a stark reminder of that reality I asked everyone to duct-tape their mouths during the message to feel and see what we are really doing when we refuse to share the Gospel. It was a moment that
we will never forget as the whole congregation sat speechless.

We closed our services by having everyone rip it off their mouths, people just looked around, some lost a few hairs, yet no one lost their life. And I have to believe that the community got a mouth-full of Jesus that week from a once speechless group at Grace Community.

Please no more duct-tape Christians!

No comments: