Saturday, September 13, 2008

laughter is good for the soul


We need to laugh more and quit taking ourselves so seriously. I love to laugh and I love to hear others laugh. In fact some people's laughter makes me laugh. My childhood home was always filled with laughter. The regular release of endorphins is good for the body.
Ecclesiastes 3:4 says it this way ... a time to weep and and a time to laugh a time to mourn and a time to dance...
Boy, do we need to laugh and dance more. In the photo above my son Isaiah stepped inside of this sumo outfit after a Dadfest service on Father's day of this year. I thought I was going to die from laughing so hard. He then proceeded to take on a another kid decked out in a sumo outfit too. The kid hit him once and he fell right over.

As he lay there on the ground not being able to move I fell over backwards laughing my head off. Take a close look at this picture or better yet click on it and see the blown up version you will notice his arms were not long enough to reach through and you will see my veins popping from laughter.
Lighten up people, laughter breaks down the barriers that people have set up and it is contagious. Besides a smile and laughter is a great universal language no matter where you go in our world. I often wonder how many times God sits in heaven and gets a chuckle or two from me!

Take time today and shake a leg to dance or bust out in a good laugh. You will be glad you did! Besides Solomon thought it was a good idea.

1 comment:

Tony Dollars said...

You are so right. When we are hurt, angry, or disappointed that things don’t go our way, it is a simple display of selfishness. When we can laugh about it, it is an indication that we are taking responsibility for the mishap ourselves,. The good thing is if we want to be the ‘he who laughs last,’ we need to pick that responsibility up, and make the change for that last laugh to be shifted in our favor.

Childhood was riddled with ridicule from school mates and family members just because I was different. My step father made a world of difference. He kept me laughing, and could do anything he attempted. Wow! When I think of all the wonderful things he did, I am full of joy, and laughter. I am inspired to do my best, to give my best, and to be sure I enjoy every moment of the effort. If that means laughing at myself because I missed the mark, that means the next laugh will be because God used that miss to prepare me to hit the target. What we need to take serious is being a blessing to others as Jesus said, John 13:34-35