Saturday, November 8, 2008

Cockpit

Flying has changed a lot since September 11, 2001. I find myself standing in a lot of lines. I've learned to juggle my belt, shoes, watch, computer, and carry on with one hand, while holding my passport, ID, mints, and whatever else lies in my pockets with the other.

Then, as you finally get through the x-ray machine, you try to put everything back on, before the person behind you, gives you the look. I have seen many disheveled people, willing to just swim to Asia, then have to do this routine again.

Recently, as a family, we flew to Thailand and on the trip my son Isaiah, made many friends. One friend he made, knew the pilot, and asked if he wanted to get his picture taken in the cockpit. Well, as everyone exited the plane, we waited and then Isaiah's big moment came. He sat in a cockpit of a large jet, and the captain gave him some wings. Needless to say it was a big moment for him.

What used to be a common occurrence before 9/11, is now a luxury. We even were able to share Christ with this man, who warmed up to Isaiah. Well I get to fly home this weekend from Philly, and stand in line again. Oh yeah I lost my gel on the flight over, because it was more than 3 ounces. It is a scary thought to think that somehow the stuff I put on my hair is considered a possible explosive.

No comments: