Thursday, November 6, 2008

Read








I had a professor challenge me in Seminary one day by saying this, "the depth of your impact will be felt by the breadth of your library." Wow was that ever a convicting statement. What he was saying, was this, if we wanted to grow in our leadership, then we must continue to be lifelong readers. Well I took it to heart ,and have been a life-long reader. I set a goal each year to read 50-75 books a year. I also have 7 different magazines and journals subscriptions that come to my home each month in addition to that.

Bill Hybels says this about reading, "Leaders have a responsibility, before God to constantly get better, and one of the most reliable ways to do so, is to read, Great Leaders Read Frequently, They Read Voraciously."

When I read, I grow, as I grow, others around me grow. If I am not growing, then my church is not growing. One book can lend an idea, or concept, that could get you through a challenging obstacle, in your ministry or life. Books breathe life into me, and can be a catalyst for creativity and direction.

The above list are books that I have read in the last 4 weeks. Read and read often, it will broaden the depth of your knowledge and will make you a better leader.

No comments: