Thursday, May 14, 2009

Its a new day

13 years ago when I graduated from Grace Seminary I was not as tech savvy as I am now. I am still on a major learning curve, but I work hard at trying to keep up. My first Sunday I preached, I stood behind a massive pulpit with a stationary microphone. Now that was very challenging to keep me in one spot. Our sound system consisted of a 4 channel mixer that was literally located in the wall. Our services were recorded on cassette tapes that had to be flipped, half way through the message. Other than the lights in the ceiling that was the extent of technology.

Now 13 years later, 3 venues on Sunday morning, one in South Bend/Mishawaka, 2 services multiplied twice in the Goshen campus, we need new technology to pull off our services. Needless to say it is a new day.



Every week a detailed list for our tech crew is printed out and gone over, in our pre-service tech meeting. Video, PPT, transitions, lights, monitors, feeds to campuses, songs, camera angles, music, screens, clocks, endings, beginnings, and more must be talked through.

And here is why! We want to reach as many people with the good news of Jesus Christ. We want people to fall deeper in love with Jesus and be equipped to go and live on mission.
What often gets lost in the midst of this stuff are the stories of how God uses this stuff. I sat in Prayer Encounter last night ,and heard how a DVD of our Easter service was played before inmates in Jail on Tuesday night, by our jail ministry team. As a result of this, a man by the name of Tony, gave his life to Christ. Now that is why we do what we do. I want to give a shout out to all our tech people, and say Thanks! Your hard work enabled another person to find Jesus, and find freedom behind bars! That stokes my fire. Praise God for technology, and the jail ministry team, that took the time to reach Tony!

1 comment:

Andy Jewett said...

The tech crew at Grace is amazing, hard working and I appreciate what they do every week whether I'm onstage or off.