Saturday, June 2, 2012

the power of touch

Words can often be misinterpreted. Language can create barriers to communication in a foreign country. But the universal power of a touch breaks every barrier down. One of the many things I am learning as I love on our kids in Asia, is that its okay if I do not know the Khmer Language. I do know a few phrases and use them when I can, but for the most part I would fail miserably on an examination.


Yet, a touch speaks more loudly then words, it has the ability to say multiple things at once. It says I love you, I want to be near you, I am proud of you, I am your friend, I am your brother, I am your sister, I am your daddy, I am your mommy, I am so glad to see you, and We are Family!


As I was walking on the road with our children I was holding the hand of one of our girls, holding a boy on my shoulders, holding the hand of a little boy and meanwhile all around me touches were passed on by my teammates. Everyone spoke love but without words.


Moments like these are simply priceless because love was being poured from one to another like a river. It was as if we were floating in a river of love. I have been in tears many times on this trip as I watch my team extend love touches on our kids, because the electric that passes through the hand turns on the smile light on the face of our kids.


If you could see the other side of this picture, you too might be boarding a jet plane with us next time. Touch equals a big Cambodian Smile!

No comments: