Wednesday, September 12, 2012

did he really say that

We are working our way through the Sermon on the Mount at Grace Community. It has been very challenging for me as I prep each week to take the things Jesus said at face value and just do it.

Not that I do not want to be an all-in follower of him, but I find myself asking questions like this one, "did he really just say that?" I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the depth to which he went to show us the full extant of his love. 

This week was very challenging as he told us in Matthew 5:13-16 that we are Salt, but can we can get to a point where we are good for nothing, and we just might as well get thrown out and so that people  can walk all over us. Then in Luke 14:34 he said that if we are not on mission then we are worse off then a bag of crap, because at least it has value.

That is hard hitting and literally Jesus is saying, get off of my Manure Pile because you are ruining its value if you are not on mission.

I guess this is par for the course, since Jesus said we will have to hate our parents, carry a cross, pluck out an eye, or cut off a limb if we want to follow in a godly way.

May we never stand before Jesus and have him say to us these words from Matthew 5:13 You are good for nothing. I think we have some work to do!

No comments: