Saturday, December 29, 2012

memories

Imagine not being able to remember. Consider how that would change the way you live out your life. Each day would be a brand new day, with no recall of anything

In some cases that would be incredibly healthy for those that choose to hold grudges, resentment, and bitterness because of a past grievance done to them. But imagine never being able to recall the good times. 

As I traveled back to the East Coast this week, my heart was flooded with so many good memories from my childhood and early adulthood. As I drove, I thanked the Lord for people, events, moments, and situations that have shaped me into the man I am today.

I found myself clicking my boots together and bringing to mind some very special times in my life. But, as I traveled on I-70 and headed East there is a sign that says Hagerstown 16 miles. Every time I see that sign, a warm feeling comes across my body, because that is where God began to shape me into the man I am today.

I'm grateful for my hometown and it will always carry a special place in my heart. Hubs, Hartles, Nibble Nook, Washington Street Middle School, West End Little League, Hagerstown Independent Church, Valley Mall, 73 Nova, Point Salem Road, Rocky's Pizza, The Dump, Quality Homes, Mack Trucks, Bulldog Federal Credit Union, Long Meadow Shopping Center, Em's Corner Store in Cearfoss, Har-True Tennis Courts, and so much more... Yet, I am grateful that God called me to the Midwest to live out what he started in my heart many years ago in Hagerstown. 

Little did I know as a young boy that I would one day pastor a  world-changing church in Goshen, Indiana. And graduate with a Master's degree, meet a beautiful woman from Michigan, and raise three fantastic kids. 

Thankful for the memories!

1 comment:

Kimberly Leasure said...

Oh wow,,,you remembered so many places!! I forgot all about Em's!! Fun thinking back at those places,, Love ya Jimmy <3